Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yup.. another post!

I was diagnosed with ADD last October. It was by coincidence that I made this discovery, and not to go all Dr. Phil and Oprah on ya, but it was my "Ah-ha" moment.  My entire life I had wondered why I never seemed to fit in anywhere.. Why I had always had such a difficult time in school.I'm sure that I had ADD as a child too, I just managed to develop some really good coping skills over the years. Many women are diagnosed after they've had children, often times after they see signs of ADD in their own children, and start reading up on it.. it's Coming to the understanding that I wasn't actually unlearnable, but that my brain had a highly genetic neurological disorder called ADD, let me finally understand why I failed out of college...and why despite other successes in my life, I never really felt like a success. ADD is a disorder, but not necessarily a deficit. Everyone with ADD has the H part as well. The hyperactivity piece. And how this is displayed in people varies. For some people it's their inability to sit still, or control themselves physically. For other people, like myself, the hyperactivity is happening in my brain. I am a constant flutter of thoughts, and ideas. Struggling constantly to focus on one thing at a time. For me, the medication takes away the fluttering. It slows it down, and allows me to focus on one thing at a time.
After I was diagnosed with ADD, I started to see it in everyone I was close to, and yes, everyone loved being diagnosed by yours truly!
I have continued to see my therapist, she's a great guide for me as I work through the junk that comes with having ADD. When I started thinking about how my undiagnosed ADD had taken away so much potential from me, it got me super pissed, and super motivated. That was when I started sewing like crazy. The meds were helping me stay focused. and I could create, and finish  projects.  I got a bunch of bags, put them on facebook, and sold 50 pieces in a month.
This diagnosis of ADD has left me feeling raw and exposed. Which is why I've never blogged about it before. Soon after my diagnosis, my husband went in for an evaluation as well. He's tried medication (which in my opinion, worked really well for him) But he's decided that he would rather not take anything. We are all a work in progress..In other news, my girls are doing amazing in kindergarten. They love it! Like the boys, they have completely done the opposite of what I thought they would do. They get on the bus, excited, and happy.. and once again, it was me who worried more than them. I am adjusting to the peace and quiet that comes when all your kids are in school. The best part is how clean my house stays! yay!

2 comments:

christhadasister said...

glad you're posting again! I love how you process your add. you're a smart girl! :)

Barbara said...

Sounds like you are keeping yourself busy and productive. 50 pieces in one month? I'm impressed!
I can't believe how much time has passed. Your girls are in kindergarten. I remember them arriving in car seats while visiting cent sched. and everyone fighting over who gets to hold them.