Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Mumford and Sons..

This past weekend, I got to see my favorite band..ever, my boys.. Mumford and Sons. It was their 3rd time in the northeast, and my 3rd time seeing them. The first time I saw them, they were unknown. That was the only reason I got to meet them and why they got a kick out of me, their self professed number one fan. They were on the verge of becoming huge, which is what I told them..amongst other things that honestly, I don't quite remember.. I was as sauced as sauced gets, and besides mentioning the banjo player's "schlong" (yup, that's what I called it) in a photo from their website, and telling them that their music makes me cry, the rest is a blur.
The second time I saw them was at a slightly larger venue, only 6 months later. The show was better than the first and the energy from the crowd to the band, and back was intense. They were gaining ground, and clearly the majority of the audience had been listening to their album and knew they wouldn't see this band at a venue like that again.
When I heard they would back in New England again, I promptly got on line the morning the tickets went on sale and quickly grabbed two..shortly before they sold out. They were touring with several other bands, in a show called Gentlemen of the Road. It was a beautiful day in Portland, a city I love. They played at the Eastern Promenade, an outside venue on Casco Bay. The backdrop was gorgeous, and despite the hot August day, the breeze off the ocean cooled us all down. There were about 15,000 people there..about 14,998 more people than I would have preferred, but as usual, they played an amazing set and the crowd adored them, not as much as me..but whatever, I couldn't help but feel the love everyone had for them, and I understood it.
I ran into an old college roommate while I was there, and his wife. That was a highlight. A low light would have been running into a douchebag while waiting to pee in one of the many port a potties (which btw, were located clear across the park, far far away from the "beer gardens", on top of a huge hill, that could have been planned out better, but whatev's). Anyway, while waiting in line, this dumb, young douche thought it would be funny to "stamp" girls in line. There were girls all around me with stamps on their arms.. I have no idea what the stamp was, something to do with the band, but for whatever reason, this assbag stood next to me, and stamped my cheek, which I promptly, unintentionally, smeared off because I had no idea what he had just done. I did get him back though..I watched to see which one of the several dozen port a potties he went into, then locked him in it with a twist tie that had been left behind to secure the doors later when they were transported away. I got into one a couple down from him, and then listened to him struggle to get out. He did. But it wasn't easy, and I'm pretty sure one of his buddies had to help him. Yes, I can be a vindictive bitch. But I thought it was funny..what a dub.
I can't wait to see them again, and to get their highly anticipated (at least by me) new album that comes out Sept. 24th. I'm happy for their success, I really am. They deserve it. But sometimes I'm not a fan of sharing..yes, I know I sound like a 3 year old..but I can't help it. At least I still have my dreams, in which they visit me often..and are always doing a private show for me. Sometimes I am the luckiest girl around!! ;)
This is the picture I had seen on their blog, and brought up to Winston "Country" Marshall.. he blamed it on lighting, and I told him that I appreciated his modesty. jeesh.. too bad I had forgotten about that part of our conversation!!

No comments: