Monday, August 27, 2012

Full Time..

It's official.. I now have 4 kids in school, full time. Dang. It's bitter sweet..but  mostly sweet (shh, don't tell them, k?)
It doesn't mean, however, that I am alone. I am still watching my sisters kids. Her boys won't be in kindergarten until next fall, but they will be attending pre school 4 days a week. From 11-2. It'll be up to my mom and I to transport them to and fro their bus stop 20 minutes away. Am I looking forward to this? No. Why am I doing it? Because I'm a sucker for my sister, that's why.  ;)
I spent yesterday trying to find the floor in my girls room. It took most of the day, but was well worth it. We spent the day before that school shopping. That was awesome, like a pap smear is awesome, or a root canal. Thankfully, my girls only required a few things, crayons, glue sticks and other cheap items. My oldest son, who is now in the 7th grade (holy shite!!) went with a list of school supplies longer than the one he used to mail to Santa. When I was in school, back to school shopping was all about the clothes. Fresh, new, name brand clothes that I wasn't allowed to wear until school started. He only wanted new sneakers and a couple of t shirts. He's a no nonsense kind of kid, and I adore him for that.  He was so excited to get back to school, and back to learning. He's something else that kid. I'm not sure where he gets his love for learning, but I am not questioning it, I am just going with it. My youngest son who started 4th grade this morning, was begging me to home school him. If I thought I could do it, I would..however, I can completely picture the scenario in my head.. "mom, I don't wanna work today".. "yea, me neither..let's get lunch!" He would learn as much as he claims he needs to learn...which apparently is just reading. What else could he possibly need in life besides reading? Why does he need to know math, or science? He won't need it when he's a professional baseball player. It's hard for me not to agree with him, and even harder to hear, because I had the same exact attitude when I was his age. It's my mission this year to get him into learning, and to be excited about it. It's probably a mission I will totally fuck up, but I'm gonna give it my best college drop out shot!
Last night, as I was getting my girls ready for bed, one of them started crying. She didn't want to go to school. She was scared. Meanwhile, her sisters sitting on the bed saying "I can't wait to go to school" which only makes the other one cry harder. Last year, on the first morning of kindergarten, she woke up puking. Nerves. This morning, when they got up, and had breakfast, the puker goes "should I get dressed now?" All excited.. "um, sure" And it went on smoothly like that until the bus came. Unbelievable.
So, here I am, with my sister's 3 kids (her daughter won't start 2nd grade til Wednesday). It's weird. Our summer was spent with all 7 of our kids at my house, playing, fighting, swimming, more fighting, more swimming..making me crazy..but for the most part, creating memories that they will hopefully carry with them long into adulthood. The summers they played at Camp Fernandes, will hopefully be some of the best they have!

No comments: