Friday, September 15, 2006

Chicken and Dumplings..

I love chicken and dumplilngs.. I made some last night for dinner, in between taking turns holding a screaming twin.. it was a labor of love to make this meal.. It came out great, and would have been even tastier if I could have savoured it a bit more.. however, the girls make sure that I spend little time doing anything else but hold them. Anyway, after dinner, and baths and putting the boys to bed, my husband and I picked a twin, and started our nightly ritual of walking around with them til they fall asleep. It's usually a contest, and last night he won. His twin was in bed early, before 8. I spent the next 3 1/2 hours walking around with the other baby trying to calm her. She didn't want to sleep and she didn't want me to stop moving. There was a lot of crying, and a lot of time spent in the kitchen with the water running (one of the only things that will calm her down) As I'm standing there in the kitchen, I'm getting totally annoyed by the mess that's been left. My husband had long since gone to bed thinking his twin would be up and ready for hanging out in the wee hours of the morning, so of course he did nothing to pick up the mess made by preparing my homemade chicken and dumplings. So, I'm start putzing around as I'm holding her, putting dishes in the dishwasher, throwing things away.. and perhaps the dumbest thing to do while holding a baby.. trying to put away the huge pot of soup. I almost made it to the fridge, with my baby secure in one arm, that is until she decided to flop her not so steady head back and almost come flying out of my arms.. I had no choice but to drop the pot of soup. All over the floor, and all over me. It was not a pretty sight.. unfortunately it had to sit there on the floor for over an hour until I got the baby to sleep. I managed to get changed as quickly as I could while she sat and screamed in her car seat. It was a fun night.. The good news is that the baby didn't get hurt while I was being so dumb, and I still have some leftovers.. not all of it landed on the floor..

1 comment:

Ezili said...

Poor baby---you need a maid! Someone to wait on you for a change.