Sunday, December 14, 2008

Things that Suck When You Have No Electricity for 3 Days..

-having 4 children
-electricity with drawls, which also include gameboy, computer and t.v. with drawls
-having 4 kids.. did I mention that already??
-One of your only sources of light happens to be the headlamp your dorky husband wears. Turns out her doesn't like to share it. And loves to make shadows on the wall that scare the bee-jesus out of your already scaredy cat kids.
-peeing. In an already pissed in toilet, times 15..
-telling your husband that you have to crap, and that you're going to do so in a plastic bag. Being told that you're either going to dig a hole in the backyard, or drive 10 minutes to his parents, with the wake of a turtle head emerging, and suck it up.. I sucked it up.
-telling your kids over and over that this was what it was like in the olden days... seriously, they didn't want to hear it the first time.
-having no phone.. but being very grateful to your older sister who lends you an extra cell phone.. Thank you, thank you!!
-pretending that we're camping.. cooking meals on our wood stove loses it's impact and appeal when we're locked up inside our house and haven't spent the entire day swimming in a lake.
-learning that all neighboring towns have their power back. Really, we're happy for you, but wtf??
-realizing that we are so unprepared for an event like this. No cell phone. No ample stock of canned goods. No D batteries.

We are lucky that I spent my previous life collecting pretty scented candles.. which by the way gave me the worst sensory headache..

Our power came back on at 7:30 this morning. When I woke up to another day of a dark house, I wanted to cry.. My husband left to get us breakfast at dunkin donuts, and about 5 minutes after he left, the lights triumphantly came back on. I have never seen my kids so excited.. We must have cheered and clapped for a good 5 minutes. It was wonderful. We have all been left in awe of something that we take for granted everyday. How one such seemingly small thing, like electricity, rules our lives. Thank god for the wood stove, and thank god for remembering the words to many a Christmas carol.. I'm so thankful to have power again, and even more thankful that we all shit at my in laws!! ;)

8 comments:

Brian said...

Sounds like headlamp for everyone this Xmas! ;)

I don't know if you want to mix lives but you can have Facebook suck in your blog posts:

http://www.facebook.com/editnotes.php?import

Just paste in your "feed" URL:

http://whatthefrigginchrist.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Unknown said...

I have my blog url in my info spot on facebook.. is this something different??

Leigh said...

that was a great post

glad your power is back on!

My sister is still without.....

Anonymous said...

That all sounds like No Fun At All. Hello Xianfern, Hello Leigh!

Unknown said...

Hi Thursday!!! Good to hear from you.. and no, it was no fun at all, but we're lucky because there are still so many without power.. hope you're well!

Heidi said...

uhhh, i just got my power back 30 minutes ago. that's FIVE days, sistah!

Unknown said...

Heidi, I am so sorry that you lost it for 5 days! I can't even imagine..I've been having electrical guilt (like survivor guilt) for everyone without it! Glad it's finally back on!!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I so love to hear your shit stories. Keep 'em coming!!
Mrs. Rants