Sunday, February 17, 2008

Here We Go Again..

We made an offer on a house yesterday. Ours isn't on the market, nor did we think we wanted to sell, but a few weeks ago, our neighbor called and said if we decided to sell our house again, to let her know because she was interested. That didn't do much for me, as I'm not about to take my kids out of their school in the middle of the year. However, on my way to their school on Friday, I drove by the house of the woman I used to babysit for many years ago, and saw she was selling it. Later that day, when I thought of it again, I looked it up on line to see what she was asking for it. Surprisingly, it's in our price range. I couldn't believe it, and all of a sudden the wheels started to turn. I tried frantically to get in touch with her to see what was up, why she was selling so cheap and so on. But I had no luck, as our town seemed to be having some phone issues on Friday. Anyway, on Saturday I called the realtor and he showed it to us about an hour later. I already knew what to expect, part of the reason it was so cheap was because it needs some cosmetic work, new carpets and such. She's an avid animal owner, and the pets have almost ruined the house. But nothing we couldn't fix. We made an offer right there. The house has only been on the market for a week, and already had some offers coming in.
My whole thought process at this point is that once she comes across my offer, she'll take it because it's me. I've known her for years.. her daughter was in my wedding! But later that day I learned that the reason the price is so low, is because the bank is trying to do a quick sale, and she's trying to avoid foreclosure. This made me feel a bit shitty.. I mean, if I was being foreclosed, I'm not sure how psyched I'd be for someone I knew to buy it. It also means, that the bank is going to decide who gets it, not her.. although at this point, we're in the lead as far as offers (at least that's what her realtor is telling us..) Anyway, it's still up in the air.. I called my neighbor, but she's in Florida for a few days.. I did manage to get a hold of her cell phone, but I haven't heard back from her yet. If it's meant to be, then it'll work out..
The funniest part of this whole thing, was seeing my boys at the showing FREAKING out because there was a dog upstairs (just sitting on the bed, totally harmless little boston terrier) and the nicest, fattest cat that we discovered in the basement. All the while, as we're writing up the offer, my oldest son is whispering "Mom, I don't want to buy this house.. I don't want to live here.." Poor thing.. He's ok with it now, once he realized that the animals wouldn't come with the house, and that he'd probably be on the same school bus as he is now.
So, I'm not getting my hopes up.. although honestly, I've already moved myself right in.. but I'm just going to see what happens.. We are still happy here, and not yet desperate!

1 comment:

Leigh said...

WOW! I know that house, it's not far from my parents house. That is exciting! Maybe all these things lining up so quickly means something....I hope so! It would rock to be able to move in town and not have to pull the kids out of school. And E would be even closer to school! :) fingers crossed tight!!!