Thursday, February 07, 2008

Oh to be organized..

My husband and I talk about getting organized one of these days. We even bought a file cabinet once. It's got old utility bills in it and every owners manual from every appliance, big and small, that we own. Some of them we no longer own, but we've got the manuals, just in case!


I spent a good part of my morning looking for my youngest son's birth certificate and immunization record so that I can register him for kindergarten. Once I found out that it was time to register him, I immediately started getting my shit together to make sure he gets in. I am not missing the deadline for this child to be out of my hair for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week! I'm horrible, I know.. Anyway, of course I couldn't find half of what I was looking for.. I found my marriage license (I have no idea when that's going to come in handy, perhaps at the divorce.. I don't know) I found my birth certificate, laminated. I found the stumps to all my kids belly buttons (yea, ewww is right!) I found every card I've ever gotten.. almost. And yes, most of these things were in the filing cabinet (with the exception of the umbilical stumps). But no birth certificate, so apparently, I'm going to have to lug all my kids to town hall and cough up the 12 bucks and get a copy. Then, maybe I'll get some organizing done.. I have come to a point in my life where that old saying "Not enough hours in the day" is totally how I feel. At 10 pm, when I'm off to bed (actually, it's usually earlier) I am walking up the stairs, thinking of all that I still need to do.. but I don't. Nothing ever gets totally done.. the laundry gets folded and sits in baskets in our hallways for weeks. The sink is never quite empty. I get stuff half put away.. it's a relentless never ending chain of crap to be done. Oh, and the other day my husband said he wanted a dog! I guess because having 4 kids isn't enough work, why not just throw in a mutt that's going to shed all over our couch, and shit in our yard. Sounds like something we should take on! Good lord...

2 comments:

christhadasister said...

That sounds so much like life at my house, only we have the dog (2, in fact)... There really aren't enough hours in the day to feel satisfied at the end of it... I wonder when this will change?? Hopefully before all the kids are out living on their own because it would be nice to actually enjoy their existence without a sinkful of dishes looming over my head!

Heidi said...

i would not get a dog. i love mine (on most days), but i can't wait till i have a dog free house. one less critter i have to feed/clean/clean-up after.