Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My nephew called me yesterday with some sad news. His best friend from middle school, a boy that lived at our house during these years, passed away while studying abroad in Austrailia. I can't quite describe the sadness I feel, or the even grasp the sadness his parents must be feeling right now.. all I can think about is that time.. the time he spent at our house, brightening our days with his warm smile, and his wonderful sense of humor. He was the kind of kid that you would want your kids hanging out with. He brought endless fun to our house, and although they lost touch through their high school years, he still remained someone that my entire family was fond of..
A tragedy like this, when someone so young dies so young, generates a gratefulness for what you have.. and what you don't ever want to lose. I haven't been able to stop thinking about his parents.. they were both teachers at my old high school, and very well liked. He was their baby, the youngest of 4.. and far too young to leave them behind.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

i am sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

That's awfully sobering. His poor parents - losing a child must be Just The Worst Thing. I'm really sorry.