Tuesday, September 11, 2012

soccer

My Saturdays throughout the fall are going to be spent on the soccer field. My daughters are playing for the first time this year. It's really cute to see little kids play, but it's a nice change to watch, and help coach the older kids. There is no yelling at the first graders that they've got a man on, or to get back in position. It's all sprinkled with sugar and lollipops, know what I mean?
I knew my girls would be a bit intimidated by the whole experience. The reason I didn't sign them up last year during Kindergarten, was because I knew they would never have gotten on the field, and would have spent the entire 1.5 hours in my lap. That, and the fact that it started at 8 am. No thanks. My more reserved daughter, got out there and gave it her all. My youngest son was nothing but annoyed because she wasn't running enough.. my other daughter was a force to be reckoned with during their practice. She was all over the field, running her little butt off. However, that all changed when they started their little game with another team. She came running off the field, crying that she wanted to go home, and never wanted to come back.  She was a mess, and would not spill the beans about why she was so upset. She filled me in that night before bed that she was nervous when all the other parents were there to watch. She didn't realize apparently, that we were already watching. She's agreed to go back next week, thank goodness..it's non refundable you know! ;) And there's no discount for large families..I was a bit surprised by that. School pictures give you a break, why shouldn't school sports.. whatever, it was my choice to have such a big family (well, sort of ;)
I had to leave my daughters game to get to another field for my sons game. I met the head coach when I got there, he knew just who I was as I walked up to him. Must have been the heads up he got from his wife who had added me to Linkedin network! He claims he knew I wasn't a guy when I responded to his email offering to do the communication for the team! Dead giveaway! We passed out jerseys, did some stretching, some drills, and had an informal scrimmage with another team. Man for man, I think my son's team was better.  The other team had some great kids on it, but they also had a couple of kids who thought they were at a dance class because they keep doing these high kicks. Very graceful on the soccer field let me tell you! Until one of the kids got a cleat right between the eyes.. and you know that that kid was MINE! Poor boy, he's got a nice shiner in the shape of someones shoe, thankfully the swelling on the bridge of his nose has gone down. We lost that scrimmage, but my kid was the only one who scored a goal for the team. Cause he's awesome! Well, he is! ;) Two minutes before the game ended, we had another injury, and yup, you guessed it.. My son came limping off the field, fighting back the tears. He got his big toe stepped on. Pretty sure by the color it's changing, that his nail is going to fall off. I'm not sure, but I might have subconsciously agreed to coach so that I will be there with him when the ambulance is eventually called.. ugh..if anyone is going to get hurt, it will be him!

No comments: