Thursday, September 13, 2012

Oral bullshit.

I brought my girls to the dentist this morning. They handled it like troopers, and naturally wouldn't speak to anyone who spoke to them. They are such charmers that way!
The dentist happens to be a place I dread. Despite my husband having excellent medical benefits, they offer no dental for his family. This sucks, as you can imagine. Having 4 kids, and almost a hundred teeth between them, it can get costly. We go to a facility that offers financial assistance, which we have always taken advantage of. Every year though, they want you to re-fill out all the forms, and when I say ALL the forms, I mean like about 30! I get it, they want to make sure we qualify. But this year, with my best effort put forth, I had missed a few of the forms they needed, and had sent them a few they didn't. This happened to coincide with us refinancing our mortgage, and the copies got mixed up. Essentially, we were denied coverage.  This of course is after all of them had had their cleanings, and xrays and sealants and so on. I had explained the mix up, and once I finally got all the shit taken care of, and every last bit of correct financial information they needed, we were approved. Unfortunately, it wasn't retro active, and now we are stuck with almost a grand to pay back. ugh. The worst part, is that the dentist is affiliated with the hospital I work at, you would have thought they could have cut me some slack..they know what they're paying me! jeesh..
Anyway, the point of this particular post was that I decided today, one thing worst than the dentist themselves, is the hygienist. Those folks know how to lay it on thick..the guilt, the "are you helping them floss?"  "You gotta get those back ones really good, I saw some plaque" Lord have mercy! I mean really, they have no cavities, and my husband and I have been brushing the girls teeth (because we were told to). I've been there before and have heard the hygienist actually argue with a parent about the kid flossing, saying that he couldn't have been doing it, even though she swore he had. It's high stress for me, and I hate it. I sat there quietly playing solitaire on my son's ipod (because my old crusty cracked one finally stopped taking a charge) and only spoke when spoken to, pretty mature don't ya think?  Thank goodness it's only twice a year! And if I plan it right, it's in the summer, and my husband will take them. He's in charge of their teeth, and that is just the way I like it!

No comments: