Friday, December 16, 2005

Love Dad..

I got a Christmas card today from a sister of mine that I met when I was 16.. Yes, I didn't know she existed until I met her at my dad's wedding. Like watching your father marry someone besides your mom isn't awkward enough, let's add a half sister you never knew about! Hmm.. I can't tell you how strange it is to walk into a room, and see someone (who does not happen to be your twin) that looks a lot like you.. She's 2 years older than my sister and I. And in my father's defense, he didn't know she existed either, until she turned 18. It's typical of my father to decide that his wedding would be a perfect time to introduce his new daughter. Why would the other ones mind?? I mean, he was already marrying a woman who had a 7 year old daughter who called him daddy, why would we mind one more??
Anyway, she was very nice, although I think she felt way more awkward than any of us! This was how her new dad was introducing her to her "new family" at his friggin wedding..Weird. She's married now, and has 3 kids. They live in Northern NH. She's been to all of our wedding/baby showers, and things like that. My dad's tried to develop a relationship with her as well, although I think she was in for a bit of a surprise there.. he's not exactly the fatherly type. He lives about 10 minutes up the street from me, and I only see him a few times a year. That's just the way it's always been, I'm assuming it's the way he wants it. Whatever. I've hoped to develop some sort of relationship with her, but it's hard to do that when so much time has passed.. ya know??
Anyway, it reminded me that I've got to send her a card too! damn!
This is worth noting too.. the woman my dad married, he divorced. She like country and he liked rock n roll (isn't that why every marriage breaks up??) He's since then given up on ever marrying again, which is fine with me.. But his sour attitude about marriage spilled over onto my wedding gift.. This is good! He gave my husband and I a rock.. it was actually quite beautiful (for a rock- and yes, this was my wedding gift!!), it has our names carved into it, with our anniversary date, and "ALWAYS" under it.. It's something you would put in your garden (or basement-whatever) But then, you flip over the rock, and it simply says "Oh Well" How harsh is that?? Anyway, what am I to expect from a man who was an hour late to walk me down the aisle?? yup, he was! good lord..

1 comment:

christhadasister said...

The trick to getting him to show up on time to your wedding is to do it far away and early in the morning- this forces him to get there the night before... then schedule him for a wake up call from the front desk... you think you could just show up to your daughter's wedding on time, but some dads just aren't special that way!