Thursday, December 01, 2005

Potty talks...

I was in the bathroom last night with my oldest son waiting for him to finish his business (he's back to not being able to go unless there is someone in there, and his little brother was busy) Anyway, to pass the time he starts asking me about how babies are made.. well, not so much as how they're made, but how they come out of your belly. I was trying to let him draw his own conclusions, since he's only 5. I don't think he's quite ready for the nitty gritty of it all. I'm always amazed by the minds of such young children. This is what he's assuming.. You go to the hospital, the parents pick out a baby that looks good and grown, and they put it in your belly. Exactly! So, I think we're done.. but noooo.. He then asks me how does the baby get out.. hmm.. So, I kind of tell him. We've had a talk about how girls and boys are different, how boys have a penis, and girls have a vagina (pagina, remember??) I tell him that the baby comes out of a woman's vagina.. "what's that??" apparently his memory is even worse than his mothers.. But then he says "oh, is that your pee pee?" "yes" hoping this is it.. Of course he starts thinking, and says rather horrified, "they cut off your pee pee??" Ugh.. No, and then I promise to tell him all about babies when he's 10.. yikes.

1 comment:

YouWho said...

I think by the time I was five my parents had given me a nice picture book that explained the whole thing. It had drawings of anthropomorphic sperm in top hats swimming on the inside front cover. Somehow I came away with the impression that Dad fed Mom grapes and this was integral to the process.