Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Own Life Party!!

I went to Portland today with my sister, her daughter, my mom, my nephew, and my girls to see her 3D ultrasound. It was truly amazing! The boys are adorable of course, and to get to see what they look like was even more amazing! They look just like their big sister! I can't wait to meet them! It won't be long now, my sister is 30 weeks, and scheduled for a c-section on Nov. 15th.. But she could go earlier than that.. if she's anything like her twin, then I think we'll meet them in late October..
On a sadder note, my husband and I attended a wake of a childhood figure in his life. A father of someone he grew up, someone who lived down the street from his parents. I didn't know him all that well, the only time I ever really saw him was on Halloween. Every year, we take our kids to their grandparents neighborhood, and do the rounds. This guy was always dressed up, always getting really into it. His wife always invited us in, and gave the kids each some candy, a dollar and a pencil. They always look forward to going there. He was only 65.
Going to the wake, I realized, yet again, that I NEVER want to be waked. I seriously find it gruesome. I don't understand the point of it. Everyone standing around commenting on how "good he looks" Folks, he's dead! No one ever looks good dead! My husband was quite adamant about not wanting any of that either, but he went as far to say that he doesn't even want a memorial. Nothing. Of course if he dies before me, you can bet your arse that I'm going to have one hell of party in his honor. That's just going to be part of my grieving process. And that's just what I want as well. A huge party.. all my friends and family getting together talking about what a great person I was (what else would they say at a time like that??) Of course the one thing that bums me out is that I won't be there to witness it.. A student at my husbands school has a father that is dying. Recently that had what they called a "life party". Celebrating with him, while he was still here. I like that idea.. However, how many of us know when our time has come? Ok, this is bumming me out.. time to enjoy the peace and quiet that rarely comes with having 4 kids..

No comments: