Monday, December 10, 2007

My good nights of sleep come and go. One of the twins sleeps like a rock, for about 11 hours. The other one is up every other night, screaming at the top of her lungs until I go in and get her. The boys (especially the little one) have been doing great.. Until last night.. The first time I heard my youngest one crying for me, he wanted to change his underwear. Yes, that's right. He awoke me from a lovely slumber to tell me that he wanted to take off his tighty whitey's in favor of some boxers. Of course I just do it, because arguing with this one when he's not half asleep usually gets me no where, so I just got him changed, did the usual hugging, kissing, and going back and forth with "I love you" and "But I love you more" the entire way back to my own bed. Which I am only in for a moment, because the drama twin has heard all the commotion and has decided to dust off her vocal chords and try to wake up the entire street. So, she comes into our bed... all the while, my husband is fast asleep (or at least appearing that way..) Well, I'm not back into my dreams for 5 minutes when my youngest son starts crying again (he's 4 btw, a little old in my opinion for these pathetic outbursts.. but whatever..) So, I grab my pillow, as I know it's going to be much easier to just get into bed with him, and try to sleep there... which of course makes him smile ear to ear as he snuggles in.. Soooooo.. the longest night of my life continues when my oldest son (yes, the angel child) starts bawling in his bed on the top bunk.. WTF?? He thinks he's got a bloody nose, turns out it's just congestion and for some reason has begun to run. I get him a tissue, and tell him to blow. This only freaks him out, because blowing his nose is something he absolutely loathes doing. So, I tell him to lay back down, stop crying and go back to sleep.. 2 minutes later, little miss dq is awake down the hall in our bed, screeching because she has awoken, and not found her mommy right there.. Her daddy is right there, but of course he's still sleeping (bastard!) I run back to my own bed, which leaves my youngest son extremely upset, but I tell him I'll be right back, hoping that he'll just fall back to sleep and forget about me for a little while.

Well, he forgot about me for about 30 seconds and starts crying again.. this time, dear old Dad grabs his pillow and finally starts to help out. So, now I'm just getting ready for the best 3 hours left of the night, alone in my bed (with the exception on my little drama queen) when I hear the other twin start screaming.. OMG! Was it a full moon last night?? So, I let her cry for a minute or two, and she finally dozes back to sleep.. for a minute or two, and then she's at it again.. and when this baby cries, it's not so much a screeching like her sister, but a rolling of her r's.. She sounds just like Chewbacca when she cries.. Which makes listening to her amusing, but then it becomes just pitiful. So, she comes into bed with me too.. And there I am, at 3 in the morning, with 2 babies smooshed next to me, and a husband sleeping comfortably down the hall..

3 comments:

Heidi said...

i think that sleep deprivation is probably the worst form of torture. i would take solitary confinement any day, then at least i could get my sleep.

Unknown said...

Solitary confinement sounds like a friggin vacation! I don't know why anyone would oppose it.. seriously! The thought of getting to sleep uninterrupted for 8 hours (or even 3..4, 5) sounds like heaven! ahhhhhh....

Leigh said...

I thought I had it rough with a couple of 'wake ups' this week...um, no, no I don't.