Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The Open House...

Ok, so it wasn't nearly as fun as I thought it would be.. it was actually quite boring.. My son was happy enough to finally get to meet his teacher.. who by the way doesn't appear to be playing with a full deck. Maybe I wouldn't be either if I hung out with 17 five year olds all day.. Anyway, I'll get into my impression of her in a minute. There were only 3 other kids at the open house. I guess they do it in small groups, so that it's not as hectic for the parents and teachers.
My son could barely contain his excitement about meeting his teacher. When we were brought back to the honey bees room (yea, he's a honey bee.. too bad he hates bugs!!) there were 2 women in the room. One asked my son his name, and then didn't go on to say who she was. I finally figured it out when I saw her name tag. It was his teacher of course, but my son had no idea. She was talking to him, and his eyes were all over the room wondering where his teacher was. When she finally did say who she was, his eyes got all wide, and he told me that she was his teacher. It was cute..
She then gave him a paper that she wanted him to write his name on. It would have been a simple task had my husband not seen another kid who could write his name better than our kid. Of course this feeds right into my husbands inability to let something go, and immediately he feels like he's failed his son..however, the first thing you learn when you have children, is NOT to compare them to everyone else. So, while the other children were starting their scavenger hunt around the room, my son was reluctantly writing his name- again.. I can understand not wanting your kid to be behind, but he wasn't the only one who's name was barely legible. And it's kindergarten, the friggin open house.. not his SAT's! jeez..
Anyway, let's move on from one fruit loop to another.. his teacher!! Where should I start.. um, ok, how about when she asked me twice in matter of 2 minutes about my son's bus schedule, and whether he'd be going straight home or not.. I have very little patience for shit like this, when I feel like I'm not being listened to.. ask my husband!! haha..Anyway, I could talk about her dress.. skin tight, and high heels, lots of jewelry..I'm the last person who would judge people on what they wear.. but what the hell?? This is kindergarten right?? And she's 50! I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt though since it was open house.. I'm sure she won't dress like that everyday.. I certainly hope not, it just doesn't seem practical.. finger painting, and block building in heels..
Anyway, it was more than that, she just had this very flighty way about her. My husband I both commented on it later. Of course my son goes "who's loopy?" Little ears here so much! They took the kids on a short bus ride and went over bus safety. My son sat down with his teacher.. kiss ass!! It was so funny!
Thursday is the big day though. He'll be riding the bus, and will be gone most of the day. I'm excited for him, I think he's going to have a lot of fun. As my sister pointed out, it's the end of something very special between him and I.. all that time together.. being the center of his world.. He's moving onto making friends, having another lady important in his life (even though she dresses like a ho!) I just hope that he'll always want to go back.. I'm not opposed to home schooling if he hates it!!

3 comments:

Brian said...

Man, I don't remember learning to write my name until after I started Kindergarten (and some will argue I have the same penmanship).

christhadasister said...

I agree with Kreblog. I don't remember knowing anything until I got to school. And isn't that what school is for?? To learn stuff???

Ezili said...

I think kindergarten is where they are supposed to be learning how to write their name. If he writes it at all, he's doing great! Pretty soon they will be putting pencils in the hands of infants and expecting them to learn how to write their names....sheesh! Let kids have their babyhood and innocense as long as possible...enough with the pressure! His teacher really dresses like a ho???