Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Car Safety

I don't know who I can blame this one on.. maybe the asshole that was waiting for my parking spot.. maybe it was the kids begging me to open their new Star Wars die cast tie fighter.. Maybe it was just me, in my prego-amnesia.. But it's not fun when you're more than half way home, in your loser cruiser, and you happen to glance back at your 2 year old and he's all stretched out with his feet up on the back of the seat in front of him.. My first thought, how the hell is he doing that?? Oh, right, cause I didn't strap him in! Duh. I absolutely hate when I do that, and unfortunately, this isn't the first time (and I'm suspecting, not the last)
When my oldest was 3 1/2 we had run out to do some errands. His brother was just a baby, and they shared the seat right behind me in our van. Imagine my surprise, as we're approaching our house, and I get tapped on the shoulder.. And there is my oldest son, whispering to me "Mom, you forgot to strap me in" He could have at least stayed in his seat to tell me this, no, he had to get up and stand right behind me. It was about a week later, and there he was again.. only a bit more frantic, and quite vocal "Mom, you did it again!!"
He became his own little advocate, and always made sure after that that he was strapped in. I know eventually that I'll get it right.. but man, some days my head is just going in so many different directions, that I'm surprised I've even remembered to bring them with me! I'm not so worried about what it's going to be like when the twins are born.. as I suspect I won't be going too many places with 4 kids.. not for quite a while anyway!

4 comments:

christhadasister said...

I've done it too... I put little miss in her car seat at about 3 weeks old, got home only to discover I had never actually strapped her into her seat.
At least you didn't have them on your lap while trying to outrun the paparazzi or something like that twit britney!

YouWho said...

Such a bad mom. Is that you on the cover of the Carriage Towne News this week!?

Unknown said...

The only woman I saw on the cover of the carriage town news is holding a teddy bear, and looks pretty harmless.. must have been another cover??

Anonymous said...

Not long ago I strapped my boys in but forgot to attach the car seats to the car. We went on an all-day road trip and as we were pulling into our road (a sharp turn) I see one of the boys, in his car seat, go tumbling onto his brother. Wheeeeee! The older one says, in a very serious tone, "Daddy, you HAVE to tell mommy about this when she gets home." Busted!

Love your blog!