Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Let's panic!

For a few weeks now, my oldest son has been getting quite a few bloody noses. It started with just one in a week, and now it's more like several. When he got off the bus yesterday, the first thing I noticed was his face all covered in blood.. The bus driver quickly pointed out it was from his nose (and not some horrible kindergarten tumble..) Needless to say, I feel terrible for him. He hasn't seemed too bothered by it. We've been using the humidifier in his room, and have been putting vaseline up his nose to help give him some moisture up there (I hate the word moist by the way, ick.. it just has such a nasty sound to it) Anyway.. back to my kid.. It would appear that nothing is working.. I'm thinking once the warmer, less dry weather comes around, we'll be fine.. But last night, he had another one, and this has sent my poor husband into a frenzy. Or at least it did this morning when I find him at 6:30 am on line looking up nose bleeds. Now, who doesn't know that you can find a wealth of information on line.. it's fabulous right? Well, except when that wealth of knowledge is put into the hands of someone with a neurotic imagination, and a huge tendency to panic. Leukemia.. That's what it could indicate. Of course, I remain calm, even though I hate when he does this. But there I go, I reassure him that our son doesn't have leukemia, that if in fact he did, he wouldn't be as healthy as he is, and nose bleeds would be the least of our concern. But to ease this poor man's mind, I agreed to call his pediatrician and speak with a nurse. This was really all he wanted.
Of course the nurse, who was very sweet, told me that it's quite common for some people to be prone to nose bleeds, especially around this time of year. We should only be concerned if we can't control the bleeding (which never happens, they generally last no longer than a minute) And as far as the leukemia goes (of course I had to mention it, my husband wouldn't have been satisfied if I didn't) She said that only if he starts getting a lot of bruising, should we worry. Ahh.. now my poor husband can sleep, and know that his son is ok.. he's just got a very common issue that afflict more people than we probably know about.. As far as my husbands issues.. let's just say he's got more than Newsweek!! haha honey, I love you in case you're reading this!! Our issues make us so much more interesting, don't ya think?? :)

No comments: