Wednesday, March 01, 2006

DNA..

I've been thinking a lot lately about being a twin.. and what it's meant to me growing up, and even as an adult. I'm extremely close to my twin, we're best friends. When someone tells me something and says "don't tell anyone, not even your sister" That is like telling me not to breath. It's just the kind of relationship we have.
Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about what kind of twins we are.. identical, or fraternal, or even my mother's theory "mirror" (being total opposites- she's a lefty, I'm a righty, glasses/no glasses..yada yada) My entire life, I've never known. And quite frankly, I'm getting sick of the story as to why I don't know.. "well, you see, they threw the placenta away before examining it to find out what we were.." ugh, do you know how many times I've retold that fucking story? No matter who you tell that you're a twin, they are going to ask what kind of twin you are. So, I've done a bit of research, and there's actually DNA testing that can answer this once and for all. Of course I've known about this for some years, but it hasn't really become an issue with me, that is until I became pregnant with my own twins... now, I'm thinking, I just have to know.. What am I?? Does this sound a bit over dramatic? My husband certainly thought so when I mentioned it to him. He doesn't see why I should really care about it. It doesn't change my relationship with my sister, and it doesn't change who I am. Well, I know that, but it is a part of who I am.. whether anyone thinks it's significant or not. The bottom line is that he doesn't want to spend the money on it.. It's $150, and my sister and I would split it. I think that's a fair price to pay to finally to be able to stop telling that stupid story. No one wants to hear about your placenta, ya know?? Oh, my other option, is my dad's theory which he shared with me this past Christmas eve.. The Black Market! Yup, apparently back in the 70's twin placentas were a hot commodity and he believes that our placenta was stolen and sold (for what? I have no idea) You know, I think at this point, I'd pay in sexual favors, blood.. whatever it took.. We're doing this test!!!!!

3 comments:

christhadasister said...

We should definitely do it- I am soooo sick of telling that stupid placenta story, too. I'm pretty sure it makes people wish they'd never asked the question...
I hope we're identical, although I know you're "protecting" yourself by saying that we're fraternal, but I really hope we're not. Identical is just much more special!

Ezili said...

Wait a minute...does your dad think your mom sold the placenta on the black market??? or is he blaming the hospital personnel?? :) I say DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!

Unknown said...

Yes, my dad had been drinking (a little) when he told me his theory. But I'm guessing he would have suggested it without the aid of alcohol. And no, he thinks hospital personnel sold it, and not my mom...That would have been a good one though!! ;)