Wednesday, March 15, 2006

When your past catches up with you..

I wish I had never gone to college. I never earned a degree, I just spent 2 years in Northern NH drinking and doing other assorted illegal things.. Anyway, I've owed the government several thousands of dollars for about 15 years now. I kind of assumed that they had forgotten about me, since they've made no effort to contact me in over a decade.. That is, until this morning. We've been getting an Ohio number on our caller id for a couple of weeks now. I ignored it, thinking it must have been telemarketers.. or some college for my nephew (he's been doing a lot of on-line investigating into schools, which only makes the phone ring constantly) Anyway, after the 4th call this morning, I decided to bite the bullet, and tell whoever it was to stop calling.. I was caught off guard when they asked for me, in my maiden name. I knew right then that I had to deal with this. Ugh..
I'll keep it short.. we've set up a payment plan, that we can barely afford, and after a lot of back and forth between the collector and the dept. of education, and me breaking down into tears, the call was finished. My husband is going to be so happy when he comes home and hears that we have yet another payment.. he's stressed out enough about the twins coming.. but I had to take care of it. It really sucks that I've waited this long.. it's pretty stupid.. but like I said, I really thought they had just written it off.. isn't the government into doing that?? Just forgetting debts?? hah!

1 comment:

McPolack said...

I too was negligent on my college loans...but they came after me rather quickly, and with guns blazing, mainly in the form of envelopes with big scary red letters that said DEFAULT on them. Suffice to say, I really f'ed up my credit, which sucks. While I do take total responsibility for it, I have to say that I wish someone had told me when I went to college just how much college really costs.