Thursday, February 01, 2007

To Ween or Not to Ween..

In an effort to try to get more sleep, I've been thinking of weening the girls from breastfeeding. They're 6 months old, and really only nurse before bed, and first thing in the morning. Oh, and all night! It's not the easiest decision for me to make.. I really enjoy nursing them, and I kind of feel like this will be the end of something, an era maybe.. at least in my own pathetic mind!
I've nursed my kids a total of 5 1/2 years! I don't have to mention the shape my boobs are in (which would be no shape, what so ever) I also hate to think of letting this free milk just dry up, since formula is so expensive. I've thought about pumping, but there's that time issue.. and the fact that I don't have any! I guess I thought that if I stopped nursing, then maybe they would sleep better.. you know, knowing that there wasn't any good boobie juice waiting for them.. so they might as well sleep. My husband thinks I just need to not nurse them when they wake up, I agree, but it's hard when they associate you with milk, and know that under your shirt is what they're waiting for, and why they're awake, and what the hell is wrong with you for not giving it to me!! Followed by a lot of screaming.. and quite frankly, I'm too tired to fight it, and I always give in.. It sucketh in a big way.. I guess I'm going to have to think about it a bit.. I feel guilty in a way, stopping this soon.. the boys were 18 months, and 2 1/2.. I know it's different, and that they weren't nursing at the same time.. honestly, I'd miss the convenience, the lack of effort it takes to just pull out your boob, and the comfort it provides for them.. Maybe I'll just sleep on it.. hah! If I ever get to sleep again!! I said good night to my husband last night and he said "I doubt it"

3 comments:

Rosa, Silvijn & Julius said...

First of all: I think you deserve a compliment for having breasfeeded/weened (? how do you spell it) them for such a long time already!
My advise for getting the girls to sleep the night through: let them cry a bit and "serve" them every day 1/2 hrs later. Hopefully after a week of so, they sleep all the night through! (but buy ear plugs in the meantime, i can't stand crying either)

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for dropping by! It's good to hear from you.

I know this decision all too well. (and I know the shape your boobs are in,too, unfortunately:)
I can't imagine nursing 2 at the same time. You're my hero.

xox
B

Poetry Echoes said...

I agree with Rose and Silvijn. Let hubby go to them at night and give them a hug and they will cry, but need tolearn to put themselves back to sleep without mommy giving them the goods. It will be hard at first, but with consistency, they should adjust and then you can still nurse them during the day. Don't ween them now. They're too young and you might regret it later -- especially every time you're buying the formula!

Good luck!