Thursday, January 31, 2008

Jerry Rigged..

The chain on our downstairs toilet broke the other day. This is the toilet that we use all the time.. it's been quite a pain in the arse for my boys to have to go upstairs (considering they're scared of going up there alone, and I don't have time or patience to go up with them) So, today, I took some garbage bag ties, and jerry rigged the broken chain.

When my oldest son got off the bus today, I knew he'd be asking his brother to go upstairs with him, and stand guard against all that is evil up there, and I told him that I jerry rigged the toilet downstairs and he could use that one. "Who's Jerry?" was his completely serious reply.

While this was a pretty funny reply, he understood what I meant when I explained the expression to him. He's a bright bright boy. My younger son, who is equally as bright for his age, had a much harder time understanding the idea of an expression. I gave him examples of different expressions, like how when someone says they're on cloud nine means they're happy. Or when you say someone is knawing at your soul, that means they're annoying you.. But he could not get past the fact that someone named Jerry unknowingly came into our house and fixed our toilet. He wanted to know if Jerry went into other peoples houses and fixed their toilets too, and did he fix other things, like your sink. Why yes, I believe you can jerry rig anything.. oy vey! That boy is too much! He finally let it go when I just said there was no Jerry coming to our house without us knowing, and that I had fixed the toilet, and PLEASE can we just drop it??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it must be the age--Lexi questions everything to no end.