Saturday, October 03, 2009

Why Boston Sucks..

I took my youngest son, and his brother down to Boston on Friday to have some xrays taken, and to have his arm recast. I'm going to blow through this part, because really, this is more about me, than him.. so there. He's doing great, I saw the pins sticking out of his arm, and yes, it was gross.. but he did a tremendous job, and was very brave. I only took my oldest son because he had never been to the city, and quite frankly, the tears he had going before the bus came pulled at my heart strings long enough for me to tell him he could join us on what was promised to be a pretty lame trip to the city.
Ok, I'm past the stuff that isn't about me.. Now let me explain why I could never live in the city, and why I would  never want to.. First of all, the people. God, there are a lot of them. My oldest son wanted to know why there were so many people. Why are they all walking? Public transit is something we have VERY VERY little of here in NH.. which is what I explained. But why oh why are people so rude in the city?? Not sure I could answer that question.. but I tried.. For example after we were done with all my youngest had to have done, my oldest wanted a tour of the hospital. First of all, while it's a great hospital, there are 10 floors, and I wasn't about to tour all of them, in fact, I wanted to end this day and commence the dreaded journey home. However, my oldest was quite insistent that he at least more than just the second floor so fine, I dragged them both down to the basement, to the cafe. They picked out some unhealthy snack, and we got in line to pay. It was going smoothly, until some serious douche bag decided to cut the line. Right in front of my oldest son, who had no idea what to do, and begged me to do nothing.. which I did. She was an employee of the hospital, and I figured she must have an important surgery or meeting to attend. Unfortunately, she was only in a rush to grab a table by herself and eat her waffle fries. Son of a bitch. My son again begged me not to say anything as we waited for the elevator right by her table.Yea, like I would have said boo. I was quite surprised by my son's fear of confrontation.. I've never confronted anything!! good lord.
So we make our way to the loser cruiser, parked on the 5th floor of the parking garage, pay about an arm and a leg to get out, and  then proceed to get very very lost. ugh.. It did not help that my  phone rang during a very crucial decision making point in our trip (outbound to downtown, which really makes no sense what so ever!) from my husband to see how things turned out. Just great, I tell him, and then pretty much hang up on him, as I know I am about to get really lost!
Which of course I do.. In what should have taken an hour.. took almost 3. I never should have seen downtown Newton, or Waltham. But I did.. All the while, my oldest son is in the back seat griping about how this is the worst day of his life, and my youngest is complaining about how he REALLY HAS TO PEE , but of course won't pee in the burger king cup to his right.. ugh ugh ugh..
Finally, after almost 3 hours, I made it home. Not until I told  my oldest son that next time (and yes, there is a next time, in about 3 weeks when my youngest will have the pins removed) that he can stay home, and stopping on I-95 in some mad traffic, so that my youngest could stick his little wee out of the loser cruiser door to relieve himself.. I have already asked my husband to get the day off the next time we have to go.. of course he said no.. and of course he's going to have to change his mind, or I'll be grabbing a pair of needle nose pliers and pulling those damn pins out myself!

1 comment:

McPolack said...

It's so funny to read your post now that I've lived here awhile. When I first moved to MA, I would get FREAKED OUT by how many people there were, everywhere, and have to go home and sit in my apartment, alone.

Then I went to New York for a few visits. You have not seen too many people until you've seen New York. Holy Guacamole. Chinatown was the craziest. Sidewalks so filled with people you had to squish through, for block after block.

Then there's my sister, who, after moving to VT, has decided there are too many people in NH!

I think you just get used to a place after awhile.

But Boston is know for being filled with cold fish. I'm sorry your trip was so stinky. Come to Somerville next time!