Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Parent/Teacher/Crybaby conference..

We went to our first conference with my son's kindergarten teacher. I was so excited about going, and getting to find out a bit more of what my son's been doing. I've been so curious about what he's like in school. If he was shy, or if he'd come out of his shell a bit.
She started out the meeting by commenting on how much my son looks like his dad.. and what a sweetheart he is. She then went on a bit about how he's quiet, and quite shy. He'll involve himself in the class, but rarely initiates anything on his own. This is probably due to no pre-school. Then her tones changes a bit, and this is where the crybaby part of the conference comes into play. She fears he might need some additional testing for some sort of learning disability, and suggests that it might be a good idea to see if special ed might be where he needs to spend some of his time. He's got some delays in fine motor skills (because I wouldn't let him pick up scissors til this summer for fear he would cut himself) He's also a bit behind in his speech, which we knew already and are treating. He's also got some processing issues.. he's distracted very easily and basically has a bunch of other "typical" male traits!
I tried not to cry, really I did! I've been a bit emotional this week anyway, what with Aunt Flo coming for a visit soon.. But when she started talking about "testing" and special ed.. I just couldn't hold it back anymore. She very sternly, yet sympathetically said "don't cry" And then went onto how sweet he was. I friggin know he's sweet..and you said that already.. but what I didn't know was that by his 5th year, he was going to be required to know so much! There's nothing quite like hearing that your son might need special ed to catch up, to make you feel like a total failure as a parent! Jeez, now I'm just waiting for the social workers to come over and investigate and find out what the hell has been going on in our house..too much tv.. too many computer games.. one too many happy meals.. It's ok though, I want to figure out what's going on, if anything. And get it fixed now, before kids tease.. or before he thinks that he's different..

2 comments:

christhadasister said...

He's only 5, so don't worry, and don't feel like a failure because you protected him from scissors.
He's such a smart boy and will "catch up" in no time!!

Ezili said...

I think your children are lucky to have spent so much time with you instead of in daycare/preschool. And Little Miss is lucky to be there too instead of some daycare school setting. They are getting more love and affection than they get in those other places, and that's a very important part of childhood, hell even adulthood! He will be completely fine and no doubt, totally male (we can't help that mom) and your wonderful big boy!