Thursday, November 17, 2005

Helping out in the Classroom..

I was a helper in my son's kindergarten class today. It was a truly learning experience! First I learned that pink mini skirts matched up with a pink blazer, black nylons, pink shoes, with a gold anklet on the outside of the nylons and frosted blond hair pulled over to one side in the back, and clipped with a huge silver barrett, does nothing for a woman in her 50's. Oh, and I'm not sure if her slip hanging out of the front of the mini skirt was a look she was intentionally going for, but she just may want to rethink that. I also learned that every 5 year old in the world apparently has no problem picking their nose during circle time. Some were discreet, covering up their face with one hand while the other one did the work. Others were just digging away. I love that at this age, they just don't care. Now I also know how germs spread so quickly in school! ick..
It was great to see my son in his new environment. Especially with everything we've been worrying about lately. I must say, he's not the furthest behind in his class, that's for sure. He is however, one of the best behaved. He didn't ask for anything without raising his hand, this wasn't surprising to me, he's been making my husband and I raise our hands at home for quite some time. I could see where his teacher wonders about him though.. he's very quiet. He's a spitting image of what his dad used to be like in school. I was proud of how well behaved he was, and not worried at all. We've been waiting to get a progress report from his title 1 teacher, and today we received it. It simply stated that he was a pleasure to have in class. No shit. We were hoping for something a bit more specific, like he's really smart, and he's coming along great. We'll have to investigate that some more I guess.
I feel as though lately I've been on a rollercoaster with my son. Worrying, not worrying.. it's been frustrating. But I think he's in the right hands. His teacher may dress like some sort of 80's glam girl, but she was really good with the kids. Most of them listened really well, and she has a very structured and fun classroom. It's not easy entertaining 17 five year olds for 6 hours! I think my son's going to thrive there.. I'm looking forward to going back.. but I'm going to have a long talk with my son about the nose picking! In his defense, he was the only one who raised his hand, and asked for a tissue!! Good boy!!

No comments: