Friday, December 01, 2006


I keep having this recurring dream, and lately it's given me such a sense of peace that I look forward to sleeping.. like I don't anyway with two infants.. but you see what I'm saying. Anyway, it always takes place at my grandmother's house, where I spent much time in my youth, and she is always there. She died almost 6 years ago, and I miss her a lot. She was a huge influence to me growing up, and was more of a mom to me at times than my own mother was. In my dreams, she's always just kind of there.. I mean, the dream isn't always the same, sometimes there are other people in it, but mainly, she's just there.. not necessarily doing anything, or even saying anything. She's just there.. like I wish she was right now.

When my sister and I were born, she took care of us while my mom worked 2 jobs. We would be at her house until it was bed time, and she would drive us both home and put us to bed.. my dad would take care of my older brother and sister.. it would have been too much for him to deal with 4 kids. Men didn't do that back then I guess. I'm lucky.. thinking now of my own husband home with our 4 children while I work..

The dreams with my grandmother in it sometimes make me sad, and I wish she could have met all of my kids.. She did meet my first, and that brought her much joy. He was only 8 months old when she passed away, and only knows her from my stories. I think about how happy she would have been to meet my twins.. since she knows the work involved in raising two babies at once.. Somewhere she knows.. I'm sure of it.. I think that's why she shows up so much in my dreams.. she's telling me that she's still here for me, and that she loves me.. My sister and I were her favorite, and what speaks volumes about the kind of woman she was, is that every one of her grandchildren would have said the same thing (but we REALLY were her favorite!!:)
This picture is of her and her mom.. she's on the left..

1 comment:

McPolack said...

You know, I have the same kind of dreams about my maternal grandma, and I have the same sort of feeling -- that's she's there, watching over me, that she still loves me from wherever she is. It's a lovely, comforting feeling. Your dead grandmother and my dead grandmother should meet!
:)