Monday, November 12, 2007

My Weekend Reunion.. and this sucky cold!

I went to see my husbands band play this past weekend at a benefit show for a child with cystic fibrosis. They were really good, and I must say, the more I see them, the more I just love them. There were about 10 bands playing, and due to the "newness" of his band, they played 2nd (at about 5:30) Which makes for an early night (a benefit of having to get up in the morning with all your kids..)

My night at the bar was spent first listening to his band, and second by seeing someone that I knew from high school at every corner of the place. It was creepy, and fun at the same time. I saw a girl that I used to play soccer with, a cousin that I hadn't seen in years..who btw has 5 kids! Couldn't believe that, I thought I had the most in my family, but oh I was so wrong (yea! It felt good to see that someone else in my family might be viewed irresponsible, at least more so than me) Anyway, I also saw a former boyfriend of ctales, who claimed not to remember her at first (yea right..) I saw a guy I used to babysit for, dancing with a nurse who works at the same hospital I work at.. A brother of a guy that I graduated with, the lunch lady from my old high school (yes, it's getting worse) A husband of a girl that I also graduated with, and work with at the same hospital, who is in the middle of a divorce (surprise surprise) A former cheerleader from my high school.. Seriously, it was unreal..surreal, and just pretty fucked up. I felt like I had stepped back in time.. It's funny that I NEVER see these people around, and I only live 10 minutes up the road, in a different town, but a town that half of these people are from. Very weird.

So, I woke up the next morning with a hangover from hell, and the beginnings of "the cold" The stupid cold that has plagued my house now for about 2 weeks. I thought I was escaping it.. I thought that I was going to be one of the lucky ones. My husband is the only one who has not gotten it, and we are all praying he doesn't. There is nothing like a man with a cold! I could be dying, literally, and it wouldn't compare to the sore throat he's got, or the headache.. I believe it goes back to the old belief that women can handle pain, and men can't.. Like when my husband passed out getting a tattoo, just one more thing (like childbirth) that women can handle better than a man..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my "ex", if you could call him that, defense if a drunk girl I hadn't seen in 20 years ran up to me and said "So and So had a baby!" I would say "who?" too....I wish I was there only to see you in action, not to actually participate in that "reunion"

ugh

that was 20 years ago! scary

Heidi said...

whenever i see someone i went to highschool with, i look the other way and pretend i didn't see them.
i do the same with relatives that i haven't seen in awhile as well.