Wednesday, August 13, 2008

10 Years (holy shit huh?)

In 2 days my husband and I will celebrate our 10 year anniversary. I had originally said that I wanted a new wedding band. After 10 years, I've decided the one I picked out a decade ago doesn't suite me anymore. However, with our finances the way they are, that likely won't happen, but I'm ok with that.

To celebrate, we had wanted to simply get out for the night, but our usual babysitter is in Canada this week. And even though we've had multiple offers by our wonderful family and friends, we've decided that we are going to have a family day, and hang out here.. I think lobsters might come in somewhere.. and despite my pleas for a party, it's going to just be us, and the kiddo's.. And really, I'm fine with that.

I got to thinking the other night about our life, and how 10 years has passed, in a shockingly fast manner, and what my life holds for me in the next 10 years. It will no doubt be filled with child rearing, as we are still only just beginning to go down that road. But in another 10 years, when we will undoubtedly be way less attractive, and have even less energy than we do now, we will also have an 18 yer old child, who we'll be getting ready to send off to college. The thought of that makes my stomach turn in knots, but then I'm brought back by the thought of having two 12 year olds, and a 15 year old. That makes my stomach do other things (like wanting to heave into the nearest container).

I don't really even know how we got here, 4 kids, a home, work.. it just seems surreal to think of what my life was like 10 years ago.. no kids. no cares, really. just him and I.. trying to make sense of having a marriage, and trying not to giggle every time I referred to him as "my husband". I find some pride in being married for 10 years, as I should right? My folks were married for 9 years, something I thought was huge when I was a kid.. but here we are, still in love.. still having that lust for each other (oh yes I did just say that!) And still excited about what our future brings..

plan change: my older sister and her husband are taking us out for our anniversary, and my mom is coming home from Canada on Saturday to watch the kids.. Lobster will be served on Sunday instead!

2 comments:

Leigh said...

it really is hard to believe it's been 10 years! Some favorite memories of mine from that day: Your Dad forgetting what time the ceremony was, kamakazi shots before we all walked down the aisle, how stunning you were and how cute you and M looked together. Oh, and hearing "Sister Christian" dedicated to you by your new husband at the end of the day. awesome!
ps - I am SO glad you're going out - just the two of you and celebrating!

Anonymous said...

don't you mean just the four of them?