Tuesday, August 05, 2008

"I don't know how to tell you this mom, but you're fat!"

This is what my 8 year old had the nerve to say to me the other day. I couldn't believe it. First of all, I don't think he really thinks I'm fat, nor do I think people would describe me as someone who was fat. But being a woman, with feelings, and issues in the past regarding weight, this was a rather crushing statement for my son to make.
I know he was just kidding around with me. He's at the awkward stage where he doesn't really know what's funny, and what can be rude. Trust me, he's learning. When I asked him if he had just said that I was fat, he got very defensive, and immediately starting back tracking and insisting he hadn't said that. I know at that point, he understood the joke he thought he was saying, was in fact something you should not say to anyone, thin, fat or in between. I don't think he'll go there again.
In hindsight, I should have not taken his remark personally. I should have just calmly explained that telling anyone that they're fat is just not a nice thing to do, and that it's hurtful. Of course if we could all parent in hindsight, we would have perfect little children who never did anything wrong. It's a learning process, and I get that. I think he took what I said to heart, and I don't think he'll be saying that to me, or anyone else again. At least that's what I'm hoping!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It only gets worse. I went out Friday night. Sam said my brand new shoes from 9 west (yes, they were only $5 dollars, but they were cute) looked like they were from "the 80's", Gabe said my shorts looked like a grannies, and Lexi said I looked like Riley (our cat that is so fat her stomach drags on the floor)! Kids have no filter from their brain to their mouths.