Friday, August 01, 2008

Camping..again..

We are going camping again with the kids this weekend. It's been a stressful event planning this. First of all, last minute camping is not something I want to take on again. Finding a place that was suitable to my husband turned out to be somewhat of a nightmare. He didn't want to have to drive far, and preferred to stay at a private campground rather than a state park because there is more to do for the kids. And he wasn't willing to pay jack shit for this. Well, two days ago we found a place that had a site available, and we booked it. Yesterday while we were out, we drove to see it. We knew it was on a river, but we didn't realize that the campsite was literally ON the river, with a rather nasty drop off.. Last night my husband and I were both tossing and turning with the thought of our kids (mainly the girls) falling into the river, wandering off into the river and so on.

That was the end of that place. So, on the Internet we went, searching for another place. Not too annoying a task, especially trying to find a place with availability today. We did find one, but the rates were ridiculous. I guess this is where my husband thinks karma took over, as I had called the first place and lied saying our daughter's were sick.. and begged not to be charged a cancellation fee.

After throwing my hands up in the air, and giving my husband the task of figuring this out, he found a campground that had reasonable rates, availability, and that was close to home. I was feeling sick all morning due to the stress of this trip. I have control issues, I want to be in control, and since I had to be at work all day, having no control over this was making me sick. Literally.
I only called home about 2 dozen times to make sure he didn't forget this, and that. I'm surprised that he even answered the phone honestly!

I am now anxious to get up there and see what kind of dump this is.. my husband googled the campground and found an article about dead fish turning up on the lake in April, and concern about whether or not there was something toxic in the lake killing these fish. The only consolation is that my kids don't swim. They can't swim, I should say. They'll only wade into their knees, so I guess as long as they don't drink the water, then they should be fine.. good lord.

No comments: