Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Biting..

My oldest twin has picked up the rather unsavory habit of biting. If she gets frustrated with her sister, which is a daily event for my 2 1/2 year old, then she will latch onto whatever body part is closest. This morning it was her face.. her cheek to be more exact. I'm not sure how to stop this behavior. I put her in a time out, but that seems to be lacking in impact. And I'm not sure that I want to bite her myself (that's some advice I've been given in the past.. just bite her back..) ugh.. what to do, what to do..
Here's a pic of my poor little girl..

4 comments:

Leigh said...

ohhh my goodness, that's some damage. My brother used to bite us and jeezus it hurt! Kell and I used to run from him.

Anonymous said...

OH! That is a tough one! I saw a woman in Target once hit her son because he was hitting his sister..."No hitting! (Whack)!" so that kind of advice never really made sense to me as a form of discipline since you are doing to them exactly what you are trying to teach them NOT to do...on the flip side, I can see how if she got bit back it might finally become clear to her how it feels (too bad her sister won't retaliate by bitting back all on her own!)....I guess sticking consistently with timeouts and cutting her off from whatever fun the rest of the kids are having might do the trick after awhile...it's so hard to figure this stuff out! Let me know what ends up working!

Heidi said...

yeah, i don't agree with the biting back. i can't follow that logic. when A used to bite me, i yelled out, because i couldn't help it, it frickin hurts, but she would even do it to herself, so she knew what she was doing. i would scold and speak sternly, and do time outs, but in the end, i just had to wait until she outgrew it.

Ballard Greener said...

Matter of factly say "no, no biting" then lavish the victim with attention then move on. Sometimes kids will invite negative attention as much as positive attention. The approach of one straight forward "no" then ignoring while lavishing praise on the victim sends a clear message that the behavior is not acceptable. Lavishing praise on the victim then moving on without further response directed at the biter kind of takes them out of the "center" which toddlers love to be in the middle of.