Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Supporting Our Local Hospital.. it's what we do!

Nothing gets you out of the house faster than a call from the school informing you that one of your kids is hurt. Yesterday afternoon, I got that call.. again I might add.. This time the nurse was telling me that my oldest son had fallen in gym and hurt his arm. She thought it might be broken. Great.
Less than 10 minutes later, the girls and I arrived at the school and head for Nurse Judy's office. Much to my suprise, I find my youngest son, not my oldest son, laying on the couch in the nurses office. It's really not all that surprising though as my youngest son has had more trips to the ER than my whole family combined. And I guess when you have as many kids as I do, someone is bound to confuse them. Anyway, the poor little kid immediately starts bawling when he sees me. I can tell he's been trying to be as brave as he can be, but once momma is there, the flood gates are opened. At this point I see his elbow, and it is freakishly swollen, and clearly this is not going to be the day I anticipated where the girls and I chill at the house enjoying a day off from babysitting. Nurse Judy helps me get everyone to the car and I start making phone calls.
Long story short... his elbow is broken. Yes, his elbow.. who breaks their elbow?? Apparently he does.. After spending 4 hours in the ER, having about 12 different xrays, and shuffling kids around with the help of my mom and mother in law, the doctor put a cast on him, gave him a sling, and a perscription for codeine. He slept like a rock last night (thank you pain killers..) and we are meeting with an orthopedic doctor on Thursday.. They will most likely put a new cast on him, and restrict him to limited activity.. no soccer this season.. no riding his bike, and hours upon hours of boredom is what he can look forward to. This will surely enhance my favorite season of the year! Can you sense the sarcasm here??
Anyway, I'm thinking of getting this kid a bubble.. and maybe never letting him out of it.. I'm also thinking of starting a bank account specifically for the copays to the ER.. it would be smart of me to think ahead, don't ya think??

4 comments:

Mrs. Samanthacat said...

That's horrible!! I really don't know how you and your sis do it! I was so stressed after Mr. V's accident a couple of weeks ago..hang in there!

Beth P. said...

Poor guy! I hope you are pleasantly surprised with some innovative thinking on his part as far as playing and ways to stay occupied goes!

Heidi said...

maybe with all his experience he could get a career in medicine (DR.) and pay you back for all the copays and such. :)
however, i definitely think stuntman is out. he wouldn't be any good at it.
hope he feels better soon.

McPolack said...

I'll say one thing for your boy: he's brave. If I ended up in the emergency room as many times as he did, I might never leave the house again. He's going to grow up to be one tough cookie.