Friday, May 05, 2006

The Yes Girl..

I was coming inside this afternoon after getting my son off the bus, when I hear someone calling to me. It was my neighbor, 2 houses down. I've never met her before, but her daughter goes to school with my son, and they take the bus together. I have no idea what she wants, but I wait for her to approach us. "Do you babysit?" "Um, I used to.." kind of pointing to my protruding belly.. And she says, "Yea, I heard! Twins! Wow" Then she says, "I'm looking for someone to watch my daughter this summer" And I'm thinking.. well, you know I'm prego x2, so what help do you think I can offer.. But of course, this doesn't come out of my mouth.. Instead, what comes out, and what I can't even believe I'm saying is "Oh, I'm sure I can help you out" WHAT?? It's as if someone else has stepped into my stupid blond head, and has taken over. I don't know what personality defect I have that constantly requires me to say yes to everything.. but that's what happened. She's going to stop by with a copy of her schedule in the next few days. I'm hoping I'll have enough balls to say "gee, sorry, I don't think it's going to work out considering my condition and all.." Although, out of all that dumb blond talk, I did manage to say that I wasn't sure how long I could help her, but not for the entire summer... Ugh. I'm such a friggin idiot!! Where is my back bone when I need it????

1 comment:

YouWho said...

You don't need backbone, just play to your strengths. When she stops by with the schedule, be asleep on the couch and be sure you're youngest understands he's to let the nice lady from down the street in when she knocks. To really make it clear, have a cigarette going in an ash tray precariously teetering on your stomach. Everybody wins: You don't have to tell her "no" and she gets a funny story for her blog.