Friday, May 26, 2006

I hate grocery shopping. I hate trying to decide what I might cook in the upcoming week.. or trying to remember exactly what it is that we need.. I'm not a list maker, we kind of fly by the seat of our pants..I suppose that's mistake number one.
Anyway, this really isn't about groceries, it's about running into people at the grocery store. We shop at Market Basket, despite all the upscale shops in our town like Stop N Shop or Shaws.. all located within a mile of each other. I shop at the basket basically because it's a lot cheaper, and I rarely run into people that I know.. rarely. But there's always that occasion that I turn a corner, and there is someone from your past, walking in your direction. Some of these people are comfortable with ignoring the fact that they know you. I appreciate this most times. Then there are the people who's mouths drop and can't believe that they are seeing me.. big deal..I'm here every Sunday.. This past Sunday, I saw a guy I used to go to high school with. He was our class president. Anyone reading this who went to school with me knows who I'm talking about.. He was a nice enough guy.. kind of a dork, but never lacked school spirit. This guy had enthusiasm like I've never seen. He was really into school pride, and school politics..It was rather frightening. So, this one I could have walked by, and hoped that he would decide to just walk by me too, without acknowledging anything.. But of course, he wasn't going to ignore one of his former high school "subjects". The whole family was there, and he had to make unusual gestures with his hands about the kids, and my belly.. blah blah. Then he had to point down the aisle at a woman with a shopping carriage. She was a cute little blond.. looked nice enough, and I was informed that that was his wife, and that they were married in October! Wow! congratulations.. that IS exciting.. Our class president finally got laid! And then got married.. or vice versa!!
He said he's got some catching up to do (like with how many kids I had..) I didn't spill the beans about there being twins in my belly.. it would have pushed him over the edge with enthusiasm.. and we didn't want to do that!
We wrapped up our very quick conversation and got on with our shopping.. Of course I run into him again in the next aisle, where he says as I'm walking by "Are you xianfern or christhadasister" Hmmm.. still can't tell me apart from my own twin.. Can't say that I blame him.. but if I was going to strike up a conversation with someone, I can safely say that I wouldn't do it unless I was sure of who they were!

1 comment:

christhadasister said...

I saw him at J Crew 5 or 6 years ago with the former secretary or treasurer, I forget which, but at least he didn't have a microphone in his hand!!