Friday, May 04, 2007

My husband took my son to work with him yesterday. I was happy he went, and much to my own surprise, I missed him! Although I didn't get to miss him too long because my husband called me right after he got to work and asked me to come for lunch, and maybe take him home with me, apparently he was the only teacher that brought his kid to work.
He had a great time with his dad, and loved getting to see all the kids that he teaches. When I got there with the girls, he couldn't wait to tell me everything he did.. he brought home things he painted in my husbands art class, and some rather phallic looking clay sculpture. We spent the rest of the day visiting with my mother in law.. which was very nice, right up until the last minute, when I was packing the kids up in the car, and we somehow got on to the subject of racism.. I can not for the life of me remember how we stumbled upon this topic, but it was about 2 seconds into it that I wished we hadn't. I love my mother in law, she's a great grandmother, but man does she have some pretty fucked up views on race. Let me first say, she's 76.. which doesn't excuse her from her racist views, but I think a lot of racism is going to die along with these people.. not saying that it won't always be here.. because of course it will be, but maybe eventually it won't be as prevalent as it is today. Anyway, she's against interracial dating.. she feels bad for the children of those relationships.. And those Japanese! They are just so rude, you wouldn't believe how rude they were to her and her husband when she was at Universal Studios. OMG. I was trying to keep my mouth from dropping to the floor, and only said that she should remember that whoever was rude to her wasn't the ENTIRE race, and one shouldn't be so stereotypical about things like that... and that love knows no color.. and what if a twin had been rude to her one day, would she say that all twins were rude?? I was trying to make it easy for her to understand how insane she sounded.. I don't know if it worked.. I know she was embarrassed by what she had said when she asked me not to tell anyone she felt that way.. ok. I won't tell.. Especially my children..
I guess the funniest thing about this, and not funny in a ha-ha sort of way, is the fact that her husband, is 100% Portuguese, and she's almost 100% Irish. Wouldn't that fall into the definition of an interracial couple? I mean, half of her 6 children are fair skinned, and the others are darker.. hmm.. I don't think anyone ever felt bad for her kids..

No comments: