Friday, March 21, 2008

Mmm.. steak..

Getting my kids to eat is a total pain in the ass. Unless of course it's deep fried or covered in chocolate. My husband made dinner last night. Turkey burgers. His version of a healthy meal, which is ironic because he continues to bitch at me constantly over the pop tarts and chicken nuggets I feed our 4 year old, but sees nothing wrong with giving him the leftover ground up bits of a turkey.. anyway the 4 year old hates hamburgers, or turkey burgers or any kind of burger you might try to feed him. He does however love steak, and pork chops. When I saw my husband serving up the burgers (minus the buns because none of my kids are big fans of bread..) I asked him what he was going to give the youngest one. He shrugged, and I said f* it, give him a turkey burger, and we'll tell him it's steak.
My son took one look at the cut up "steak" on his plate, and asked if it was a hamburger, to which I said "No, it's steak" He took one bite, then two, and before I knew it, he had finished his entire burger before anyone else! Now I have to figure out how to make fruits and veggies look like steak..

2 comments:

Ballard Greener said...

I've tried similar things with A-girl. It typically yeilds is a corrective response, "that's not steak". I once read an article in Gourmet which asserted that the reason are kids will only eat grilled cheese and noodles with butter is becuase we don't groom them to "adult food". At first glance I thought she was right. Then I actually tried to apply the theory and it didn't work. A-girl knows what she likes. I wouldn't touch seafood until I was about 20 years old now I love it. Must be a process of maturation. On a different note, I suspect the pork chop might be healthier than the ground turkey since they can't hide the eyes and tongues inside a solid piece of meat.

YouWho said...

I gotta go with your husband here... ground turkey is way better. It's probably healthier than steak too. Unless you're buying it on eBay or some other weird place, it's mostly breast meat. And so what if there are a couple eyes or tongues thrown in? No one said that is not nutritious... it just sounds gross. So if it's mixed in there and you can't taste it, ho harm no foul, right?