Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Experienced Toy Finder..

This is something that I can now officially put on my resume. (If I had one..) My kids think that because I clean the house (sometimes) that I know where every single random stupid toy is. Our house was referred to recently as the black hole of toys.. my brother in law told this to his daughter one day when he was picking her up at my house and she couldn't find the toy she had brought with her. He said if she wanted to keep a toy, then she shouldn't bring it to my house. I couldn't agree more. Our house is cluttered with toys, although really, I have them all hidden very well. Our coffee table is a chest.. of toys. Under a bench in our playroom, are two large wicker baskets, full of toys. In the living room is a hutch, displayed nicely with nick knacks on top, where it's visible, and full of board games, and more toys underneath, where it's not. The kids rooms are stacked with toy boxes, and baskets.. all stuffed with TOYS. Our basement has more or less become the graveyard for toys.. most of them, they don't play with, or are missing parts, or have just been snuck down there by my husband in an attempt to live as a minimalist. He really thinks we can do that, with 4 kids.. sure.

So, today when my oldest son was feeling a bit blue about not being able to find something, he said to me "I've been looking for this toy forever, and I'm going to look for it some more" Giving me the old "Help me Mom" look.. to which I reply "Ok, well, good luck with that" Not appreciated one bit, especially when my husband starts laughing.. and then I start laughing.. The poor boy.. Of course I end up looking for it.. He told me that the last time he saw it, it was on his brothers bed. So, we tear apart the bed, and pull it out, and look behind it.. and finally I ask him "when exactly was the last time you saw it?" "A few days after Christmas.." WTF? Sure, I'm looking for a toy that he saw on his brothers bed 2 months ago?? good lord. We ended up finding it in the play room in one of the wicker baskets, thank god.. I then told them that I had officially resigned as the resident toy finder, and if they don't want to lose their toys, they should really take better care of them. There. I'm sure that'll work!

No comments: