Monday, April 17, 2006

My little genius!!

Our meeting with the special ed. dept at my sons school went great. He's basically a genius, and will be attending college in the fall! Wow, we had no idea... haha.. But it really did go very well, and my husband and I both felt good in their assessment. Which is to say that he has no learning disability present at this point. That he's in fact average, and often above average in many areas. That's not to say that he isn't a little bit below average in other areas (he can't catch a ball for shit, and his upper body strength is poor) That wasn't surprising.. But it's something we can work on at home with him, and certainly isn't prohibiting him from learning. Nor is his speech articulation concerns. He's got some significant delays there, but nothing that even makes him eligible for speech at the school. Which is good, but it also leaves us in a bit of a pickle since our insurance didn't cover his last round of speech and we're still paying that off. I understand though that we could most likely find a place that has a sliding scale fee. We'll work something out.
I'm just relieved that his teacher was basically wrong. I don't fault her for being cautious, I appreciate her concern, and I'm glad that we know a bit more about what's going on with him. It was nice to hear all these people who we barely knew telling us what a nice, sweet boy he was. I'm sure they can't say that about all the kids they see, so we were pleased that he was on his best behavior..
We have another meeting on Wednesday with his teacher-this is the official parent/teacher conference. I'm guessing she's going to have a bit to say about whether she thinks he moves onto first grade or not.. I really think she's going to want to keep him back, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I know he could benefit from it, but how much? It might bore him to be in kindergarten again next year when he's going to be so much more advanced than the other kids. We have a lot of thinking to do about that I guess... who knows, maybe she won't even suggest it.. I can't wait til my youngest son goes to school.. it's going to be an entire different ball game with him! They won't worry about his upper body strength when he's giving another student his right hook! I'll be wishing my only concern with him was speech and special ed! yikes..

1 comment:

christhadasister said...

I'm glad everything went so well! I knew he was a genius- it's nice though for other people to point it out!