Friday, April 14, 2006

Special Ed Eval..

This coming Monday my husband and I are going in to my son's school to go over his evaluation with the special ed. dept. I've been anxiously awaiting this, nervous, but confident. Today they sent home a copy of his evalutation.. which led me to believe that I need some special ed cause I could hardly understand it. I tried not to rush through the 15 page report, eager to get to the part where they would just sum it up. Instead I read through (and re-read) the entire thing. I get the impression (as did my husband when he read it later) That my son is just where he should be. He's got a few deficits as far as his upper body strength, and articulation issues with his speech. But as far as how he's learning, and whether he actually is, it looks quite clear that he is.
He's officially reading now too. I'm not sure if his teacher knows this, but she will on Monday at our meeting. He's gotten quite good at Dr. Suess books, and other first reader books. I'm so proud of him. At bedtime, he's reading to us now! It's hard to believe.. but I know in my heart that he's going to be fine. Being shy, and reserved is not an indication of a learning disability, not for him anyway. I'm now looking forward to our meeting even more.. although they didn't say in their evaluation what exactly their impression was, or what they planned on doing, so I'm not going in with any expectations, just with more hope that he's going to be fine..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, there is a program in NH called the Disability Rights Center, it should be named the ability rights center. Anyway, they are there to help. I can get thier number if you wish.
msilvey@comcast.net
Sorry came across you when looking for a Nanny or someone. Freaking out because I need to bbe out of my house in 30 days due to a sale and have yet to find a new one, which will include new daye care etc....I know quite a bit about IEP's and yes it is like reading a fortune cookie, with no disiphering.
Melissa