Friday, August 03, 2007

Wart vs. Cancer..

I love having a good friend in nursing school.. that way, she can tell you to check things out with your doctor.. like this weird lumpy thing on your eyelid, that's been there for months, and doing harm to no one (except for the poor folks to have to look at it and wonder what the hell it is..) Ctale thought it was zit, and that I should just pop it.. blogless advised against this, and since she is practically a doctor, I went with what she said.. I also called my doctor and went to see her today.
I first have to say that I love my doctor. I've been going to see her for 10 years now, and even though she's moved to another town, about 25 minutes away from my house (which is located about 5 minutes from a gazillion other doctors) I have stayed with her because she knows me, and it's worth the trip. So, as I'm waiting in her office, thinking the last time I had been there was in May for my cankle, I start getting a little panicked. Mainly because the first thing they do is weigh you.. I hate that! I'm one of those people who only weigh themselves first thing in the morning, before breakfast, and after a good crap.. so anyway, off go the flip flops (yes, they must weigh a good pound or so.. right?) and I've gained 12 pounds! WTF? In 3 short months? Ok, I know I had put on a couple of pounds, but 12? But whatever. I wait, and finally she comes in.. always happy to see me, always remembering every detail of my life.. how are the babies, how is your ankle.. is your husband on vacation this summer.. everything.. so I always ask her how she is.. the last time I saw her she was gearing up for a trip back to her homestead in Montreal with her mom and sister.. How was your trip? This is when I find out that during her trip she discovered that her mom has inoperable lung cancer, and how frustrating it is to be a doctor and not be able to save your own mother... and here I am with my 12 extra pounds, and some zit like looking thing on my eye.. but nonetheless, she is there for me, and doesn't ever forget that... So, she looks at my eye.. under the light.. commends me on my patience as she pulls and prodes at my eyelid.. then says.. "Well, I don't think it's cancer.." Um, ok. Cancer? "but let's send you to a dermatologist" She's leading more towards a wart.. lovely.. anyway, she's also concerned about my fabulous weight gain.. and then we start talking, and yes I am tired a lot, even though the girls are sleeping solidly through the night.. and no, I haven't changed my diet and yes, I do think I'm relatively active.. with 4 kids..yes.. so she thinks I might have hypothyroidism, I'm having blood drawn tomorrow.. My mother also has this affliction, which isn't a big deal, they just put you on a pill for the rest of your life.. I can live with that.. but this stupid thing on my eyelid.. I have to wait til October to get it looked at.. Unless it spreads.. maybe then they'll squeeze me in! Ahhhhhhh....

2 comments:

Leigh said...

glad you got it checked out, it's totally worth it to stay with a doctor that knows you and that you like, even if it does require a drive.

Anonymous said...

Bah, it is probably just a skin tag or a milia. Don't panic.