Thursday, May 01, 2008

Handcuffed..

My family and I witnessed our 18 year old neighbor being cuffed and stuffed into the backseat of a police cruiser tonight at dinner.
I thought when my husband said "Oh my god, they're handcuffing her" that he was kidding. He can be a bit of a tool that one, but it wasn't until my son's friend said the same thing that I realized he wasn't kidding.
It was almost comical, all of us with our bowls of spaghetti watching from our big kitchen window. Nothing ever happens here in NH, at least not in my neighborhood. So when something does, we don't care who sees us, but we are going to be right there to watch. It's really pretty rude, but it's like a train wreck, ya know? You can't just turn away and pretend it isn't happening.
I don't know what she's been arrested for. I suspect we'll know soon enough, my mother in law is best friends with a secretary at the police station, so we'll get the scoop.
I haven't spoken with this girl much over the past couple of years. She did some babysitting for us a couple years ago, and she was very sweet. She seems to have changed a bit recently. Her hair is dyed black (not that I blame the goth look for someone straying into delinquency, most of my friends in high school had that same look, and they never sat in the back of a cop car) But some of the people I've seen her around are questionable, and we've overheard a lot of yelling, mostly from her to her mother or her little sister. It's pretty sad actually..
My son pointed out that I now know two people who have been arrested.. my neighbor, and my brother.. Like I was lucky to know such sorted people.

No comments: