Thursday, May 29, 2008

Summer Work..

Summer is almost here, and my husband will be unemployed for 10 weeks- there are definite pros and con's about being a teacher.. He gets paid for the summer, but we chose to take it over the course of the school year, so that basically we can afford the luxurious things like wood for the stove, and electricity.
Some teachers choose to get a balloon check at the end of the school year, and live off of that for the summer. However, this is not a choice we can make. So, when the summer comes, and after I've been saying "What are you going to do for work this summer honey?" since January, it's determined that I'm the one that is going to work, at a wage that is about 1/2 of what he makes as a teacher (so it's shit)
For a few years, he did landscaping work on his own. He had a few jobs that could carry us through the summer, oh and let me clarify, it's not landscaping, it's more mason work, building walkways, patios, and stone walls (he's very good at it, so if any of my 3 readers need anything like this, let me know!)
Last summer, I worked. It wasn't bad at all. In fact, I quite enjoyed getting out of the house for a spell. And my husband fared quite well. This year is a bit different as I'm now watching my sister's 3 children 3 days a week. My good ole hubby has said he would stay with all 7 of them for 3 hours in the afternoon, so that I could go into work. Swell.
It would appear though, after all the thought put into this (mostly by my husband) that I am not going to be needed. At least in the capacity that I was hoping for. I was offered hours in another department, but that would require me working long hours, and my husband being with all the kids for the entire day, something I'm sure he couldn't handle.
We are now back to the drawing board.. and my husband just might have to get some real work anyway.. or we could just do what I suggested, which is to put summer on the credit card! I know, I know.. but I'm sick of trying to enjoy summer, stressed out because we're poor, or working.. ugh..

No comments: