Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Our trip to the city...

It was a long day.. it started at 4 a.m. when my oldest son woke me up (for about the 3rd time) to tell me that my bed was just so much more comfortable than his, and couldn't he come in for a snuggle.. course I let him.. I can never turn down a snuggle with one of my boys! Unfortunately, that was when my day started. I couldn't turn off my brain, and it just went ahead planning my very busy day despite the fact it knew that I was never going to make it through starting so early. My son never went back to sleep either, and by 5 we were both down stairs hanging out in the dark living room..
My husband and I dropped the boys off at his brother's house, we had our appt. with the pediatric urologist at Childrens Hospital in Boston at 10:30. They were thrilled to be getting to spend the day with their cousin, and to get out of the house. The drive in was much easier than I imagined. I drove because my husband is a terrible driver, and I'm a worse passenger. We parked and made our way to the hospital. I knew going that I was going to be saddened just by being there, seeing kids in wheelchairs, sick with many different illnesses. I think that's one thing that I just can't handle, sick children.. Anyway, we found our way through the maze of corridors to where we needed to be and waited our turn for an ultrasound. With my other boys I only had 1, maybe 2 ultrasounds. I can honestly say, that I've lost count with how many ultrasounds I've had with the girls so far. But today's ultrasound was by far the best, in the technological sense. We got a couple of 3-D pictures of one of the babies- of her face.. it was amazing. The other baby wasn't as cooperative and was facing my back making it impossible to image. I was happy enough though just to get to see a glimpse of the face that I'm going to soon fall in love with. It was unreal! She's a cutie (of course) and has the markings of her daddy's side of the family (a.k.a. the good smooshing nose!!)
But here's where we stand.. baby A has moderate to severe hydronephrosis, but they still can't tell exactly what's causing it, whether it's a blockage or reflux.. They are however, not worried, and tell us that we shouldn't be either. They'll monitor her some more, I'm scheduled for another appt. down there in a month.. if I haven't had them already.. and they'll do some further testing when she's a month old or so.. It's basically all good, and they definitely know what they are doing down there.
We were there almost 3 hours, and after emptying my bladder before the trip home, and validating our parking, we were on our way. We rode the elevator with a boy who was about the same age as my oldest son. He wore a mask, and his head was sparsely covered by thin whisps of hair. He was with his mom, grandfather, and his baby brother, whom he pushed in the stroller. His mother was careful not to let him touch anything, reminding him how dirty everything was.. It made me so sad to see this little boy like that. And so grateful at the same time that my children are as healthy as they are..

No comments: