Thursday, January 11, 2007

My day at a glance...

There's not much new going on with me today, so I thought I might share a day in the life of me.. like anyone cares.. but someone did asked me recently what a day in my life was like.. well, here it is.. in an hourly format

7:00 am- wake up, either from a night on the couch, or, if I'm lucky from my own bed, depending on how the twins have slept. Shower if I have the time.. usually I don't.

7:01-8:00 am- make coffee, lunch for my son, breakfast for the boys (either pancakes, sausage or waffles, unless we're running late then it's cereal or a breakfast bar- occasionally a pop tart) Change the girls, get bottles ready for them. Get my 6 year old clothes, toothbrush and get him ready for school. Get myself dressed. Prop up bottles for the girls and get my son out for the bus.

8:01-10:00 am- walk the girls around til they fall asleep for their morning nap. Their naps last from 20 minutes to 1.5 hours (it's usually more like 30 minutes if I'm lucky..) They usually nap at different times, so when one goes down, that just means I only have to carry around one baby while I'm trying to unload the dishwasher, get in a load of laundry or do some much needed picking up around the house. Get my youngest son dressed, get his mid-morning snack (usually pretzels, he's very picky and if he had his way he'd be eating fruit snacks all day, so I look at pretzels as a battle I've won).

10:01-11:00 am-check my email.. if I can put the girls down for a minute.. fold more laundry- which always ends up sitting in baskets upstairs as I can never find the time to put any of it away. Put away some dishes, wash some bottles, change more diapers, nurse whichever baby wants to nurse (both of them do a bit of the boob, and a bit of the bottles.. too much info? sorry) Play games with my son, I spy, Chutes and Ladders, Transformers.. or his favorite "which one do you like" game (which he insists is not a game, but that one has gotten pretty old!)

11:01-12:00 pm- lunch. Chicken nuggets for the boy, and rice cereal and applesauce for the babies.. one baby likes this much more than the other, so much so that she gets very impatient if I take a second to give her sister a bite.. Do yet more laundry, and more cleaning (dishes from lunch/breakfast) Change more diapers, my son is still in them too, but he only gets a changing if he poops. Diapers are too expensive, and too absorbent to change them every time he pees.. it's also an attempt to potty train him.. it's not working..

12:01-1:00 pm- Nap time again for the girls.. usually. They're still not on a great nap schedule yet, but I'm usually walking around with them trying to get them to sleep.. or standing in front of my computer listening to the Chemical Brothers (this always makes them sleep) Then it's more house stuff.. one would think my house was spotless with all the cleaning I do, but it's far from it. It's all just upkeep.. it sucks. Anything more than the basic requires a babysitter.. ok.. let's see..

1:00-3:30 pm- I'm just combining hours here.. it's all the same shit, changing diapers, nursing, cleaning, playing with my son, answering a million questions that he has.. holding the babies.. burping, trying to feed myself, trying to pee on an occasion, trying not to scream (on occasion) By 3:30, I'm waiting for my son to get off the bus. If it's a nice day out, I'll strap the babies on and go outside to wait. If it's cold or rainy, I stay inside and wait by the front door and wave him in.. This is when I sometimes get a little break.. my son gets home and can finally entertain his younger brother, if they're not fighting. Some days my oldest son just wants to unwind without having to answer a bazillion questions from his brother.. can't say that I blame him..

4:00 ish- My husband returns from work, and one of the babies is handed over to him. I start dinner.. we eat around 4:30 (like a bunch of geriatric people) And I'm out of the house by 5 for work.. ahhhhhhhhh

5:30-7:00 pm- work. big deep breaths.. ahhhh (again)

7:10 pm- return from work.. Enter the chaos once again, but this time I feel much more refreshed.. everyone is happy to see me, and hugs are flying as I come through the door.. "mama, mama".. it's pretty nice.. From then on it's a bit of a mad dash to get everyone ready for bed.. my son finishes up his homework, I've already taken one of the babies from my husband. My youngest is trying his best to keep my attention on himself, usually by running up and down the hallway. Then it's off to baths, p.j.'s, brushing teeth, doing all the medicinal things with my oldest son, story time, and finally bed time for the boys by 8pm. The girls are much different, and usually are up til 9 or so.. Some nights they wake up after a couple hours, some nights it's every 1/2 hour.. some nights they sleep all the way through.. one never knows.. After the boys are in bed, I try to get things ready for the morning, finish up the dishes.. some nights I actually make lunch for my son because the mornings can be so crazy.. some nights I just plop down on the couch and nurse the babies.. and try to relax.. maybe watch a show or two.. and wonder where the day went..

So there it is.. A day in my shoes.. It varies of course, some days we go out, or people come over.. but it's pretty much the same day in and day out.. Quite exciting if I do say so myself! Oh, some days I actually get to pee without 3 of my 4 kids in the bathroom with me! That's worth mentioning.. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm exhausted just from reading this! Ill say it again - you are amazing! I'm having hard enough time with one baby - how you manage four kids is beyond me. Whenever you want company/distraction again let me know and I'll come over to visit - and this time I'll bring lunch!