Sunday, January 14, 2007

Poor Baby..

I spent 5 hours in the Emergency room last night with one of the twins. The one with hydronephrosis (fluid on one of her kidneys, she's had ultrasounds to check on it, and has no problems with it) She woke up from a nap yesterday afternoon with a fever, and no other symptoms. I called a nurse at the hospital to see what I could give her (I couldn't remember what the dose for a baby her age was) The nurse thought that paging the pediatrician on call was a good idea given her history. He thought I should bring her in, just to make sure that she didn't have some sort of infection going on in her kidney. After a needle stick and blood draw, and a very unpleasant catheter insertion, we were told that she most likely had just a viral infection, and sent home. Better be safe than sorry.. I hate that reasoning, but unfortunately I agree with it. It was horrible to see my little baby getting stuck with a needle, and then having 2 different nurses trying to get the catheter in her to do a urine test. I consider myself to be a pretty "weathered" parent, and shots and other necessary unpleasantries don't usually bother me. But she just lay there and sobbed.. and I could do nothing for her.. Ugh. It sucked.
She seems to be doing better today, although her fever keeps reappearing, but it's not as high as it was last night. And her sister hasn't shown any signs of a cold or a fever.. I'm praying it stays that way! One sick baby is enough!

No comments: