Monday, September 26, 2005

Hindsight is blinding..

Last night I went to Kittens. It's a gentleman's club in Salisbury.. It was ladies night.. yea! They had the Men in Motion there.. ooh-la-la.. Ok, before you all start thinking that I was actually there to look at these well waxed manicured/pedicured men, let me finish.. I was coaxed by a friend of mine to sell my purses there. I had to spend $50 for a table, set up 2 hours before the stupid thing started. And hang out in a bar at a strip club. I don't know why I didn't think this was a good idea in the first place (hindsight is always so clear!) But my friend thought for sure that I'd sell a ton of bags, and it would all be worth my while. Oh, and my friend was going to be there with me, so we could laugh at all the people! Except, that my friend ended up blowing me off, leaving me to fend for myself. I only sold one bag, for $25. So, basically I ended up paying to hang out in some seedy bar, with a bunch of horny middle aged women.
There were other vendor's there, one selling jewelry, and two tables selling sex toys and lingerie. I was the first table they saw when they entered the room, and everyone commented on how cute my bags were.. "oh, are these handmade??" yup. And then, like a mirage in the desert, they see the table behind me, and they're gone! I guess it could have been a success for me if I were selling dildo's and edible underwear. Apparently, women who go to strip clubs, are more likely to buy shit like that, then a cute handbag! Hmm.. go figure!!
So, here's what I learned...strip clubs are gross- even on ladies night, the women there are more likely to buy a vibrator than a hand bag, and last but not least, I've got a great product, but women who go somewhere to put singles in a guys g-string, aren't buying it!

3 comments:

Ezili said...

Well, at least two are spoken for already here in the "pod" so we're definitely better than the seedy strip club!

Granite said...

Actually, try selling the bags during regular nights (ie females are stripping). If you say something like, "Hey guys, you won't feel so guilty going to a strip club if you bring home a nice handmade purse for your wife / girlfriend...". I'm sure you'll have great sales with that kind of marketing...

YouWho said...

Its all about marketing: Did you point out the bags include a handy pocket for your ipod, cell phone or... favorite mastubatory aid?