Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Ring..ring.. "hello", "ah yes, xianfern please" "This is" "Oh, you have a mans name" (yes, I get this a lot.. it's a drawback of having a unisex name) And then I'm thinking, who the fuck is this?? It was the ho calling.. My son's kindergarten teacher.. Ok, strange way to start off a conversation, but whatever.. So, hi ho, what do you want?? She's calling me to tell me that my son is going to come home tomorrow with paperwork telling me that he's going to be put into title one. I'm not sure exactly what this means, but man, is my hubby (oops, forgot I'm not supposed to blog about him) going to freak, and think we've failed again.
I guess my son is behind in pre-reading. Pre-reading? In kindergarten.. ok. So, I'm trying to soak this all in, and understand what ho is telling me, but I'm confused. Apparently when my son is asked a question during their reading time, he looks to his peers for an answer.. hmm. sounds like a problem to me. This is the same boy, who when asked at dr. visits how he is, has to look to me first before he answers. This isn't because he's behind, but because he has a tendency to be shy, and not have a huge amount of confidence. He's only been in school for 3 weeks, and they've determined that he's behind. She told me that the people assessing him thought that phonetically he's not where he should be, and that he doesn't know the sounds of the alphabet. But he does!! He's known them since he was 3!!
I'm going to go on with it, and see how it plays out. I'm so worried that they're going to want to code him, if being in title one isn't being coded already.. I don't know. My husband is going to talk to the title one person at his school tomorrow. He took the news much better than I thought.. but I'm freaking out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know your child better than anyone. if i were you,and i'm not, but i would fight this. get a second opinion. talk to your pediatrician. for god's sake, he's only in kindergarten. i'd ask the 'ho' how many other children are being labled title 1 from her class? maybe she needs to work a little harder.

Ezili said...

You have worked with him for some time now and you know, and so do we all, that he does not have a problem. He's shy and very sweet, but he's very smart and I wouldn't allow them to slap a label on him this early in the game. However, we can certainly slap a few labels on the ho who is so quick to try to herd him into Title 1. Canyou think of a few labels for her? anyone...anyone??

Anonymous said...

okay, I know I'm in the minority here- but I say if they want to give him some extra help, then let them. Title 1 doesn't mean he has been coded.. and maybe some extra attention at school will boost his confidence. Still think she's a ho though.