Monday, September 26, 2005

This past weekend, my kids and I went to Walmart- I was making up for missing my son's first field trip by taking him to get his Halloween Costume (which, by the way, he's been wearing since he got it!) Anyway, we were in some random aisle when I saw an elderly woman, with the biggest growth on her face (in her mouth actually) that I've ever seen. It was protruding from her lips, it was black, and quite frankly, it looked just gross. So, I hurried out the aisle afraid of what my 5 year old might say..
Later, we get to the checkout. Of course it's rather packed, being a Saturday and all. So we find a checkout that's only got one other person in it, and are followed by another shopper ready to check out. Well, who is the person ahead of us in line? Yup, the growth on her gums lady. Of course she sees my oldest son's costume, looks right at him and says "What are you going to be for Halloween" And as these words are slipping past this tumorous thing in her mouth, I look at my son, who is just starring at her with his mouth hanging open. He didn't hear a word she said, and all he could do was say "what's that in her mouth mom? Is that her teeth?" Of course I was horrified, and had to look away.. the poor lady looked away as well, and I told him to shush.. What could I do?? Then of course he wouldn't let it go.. Mr. no attention span has finally decided that he's not going to let up til he gets an answer.. I finally convinced him to stop asking, and changed the subject.
The fact was, I didn't know what it was, and what was I going to do? Ask her? "Excuse me, my son wants to know what's up with that thing in your mouth" The great thing about children is that they're so honest, and so innocent. It's unfortunate that that honesty, and pure curiosity can also be so mortifying..

1 comment:

Ezili said...

Well, geez, how DO you explain away something like that?? Later you could tell him, if you don't brush your teeth properly, you may end up with one of those.....LOL