Thursday, September 15, 2005

Cheapskate..

I've mentioned before the housekeeper at work. I love her dearly, she's quite sweet, but I've also discovered, she's very cheap. She commented on a bag I had made, and when I told her that I was selling them, she was interested in seeing some more. She didn't like the fabric of the bags I showed her, and she wanted one to match her shoes.. um, ok.
So tonight I dragged in every piece of fabric I own (since she didn't want to just bring me a shoe) in a huge (and quite heavy) garbage bag. It was pouring when I left for work, otherwise I may have chosen just to carry them in my already made bags, instead of looking like I was bringing trash to work.. whatever..
So, we start discussing price, I'm charging her $25, for one of my "medium" size bags. In my opinion, a good deal, K? So, she starts telling me what she wants in her bag.. she wants 4 magnetic snaps (they cost anywhere between 2 and 4 bucks- depending on where you buy them) A secret compartment in the bottom of the bag where she can hide her money. Cause no one that steals her purse is going to find that! A bambo handle, that's another $5. And she picks out some silk fabric that I've got in my stash that cost me $10 a yard. Ok, let's do the math here.. It's going to cost me about $27 in materials alone! I am basically bending over and letting her have her way! I know this is more my fault than hers, since my backbone seems to have escaped me. But the worse part of this is that she actually said that I have to be careful not to over charge people! I'm guessing she thinks thats what's happening to her. It's funny that her English can be so poor, yet when it came to the nitty gritty, she had no problem speaking her mind.. I wish I did!!

3 comments:

christhadasister said...

She wouldn't give you a deal on a bag that she made, so don't do it for her- especially if was going to cost her money!
Be strong sisa fren!

Ezili said...

I have noticed that her grasp of the language fades in and out depending on how it suits her. christadasister is right--don't give her a deal; tell her the professional workmanship of being handmade by YOU is worth much more than you are actually charging and she can take it or leave it. You're supposed to MAKE money on these bags girlie! I won't haggle with ya---:)

Unknown said...

I know.. you're all right!! I'm still just going to make it for her. She scares me!! :(